History of UMS
Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta (UMS) is a higher education institution under the Muhammadiyah organization that was founded on October 24, 1981 as a change in form from the IKIP Muhammadiyah Surakarta.
Starting as the Surakarta branch of the Faculty of Teacher Training and Education (FKIP) Muhammadiyah Jakarta University which was founded in 1958. At that time, several departments were opened for General Education, General Economics and Islamic Education at the bachelor’s level.
After obtaining a license to be established in 1965, FKIP Muhammadiyah Surakarta branch became two higher education institutions, namely the Muhammadiyah Surakarta Teacher Training and Education Institute (IKIP) and the Muhammadiyah Islamic Institute (IAIM).
Two years later, in 1967, IKIP Muhammadiyah Surakarta added one more department, namely Civil Law. In addition, in the same year, IKIP Muhammadiyah Surakarta received permission as the parent of Muhammadiyah Higher Education in Central Java consisting of IKIP Muhammadiyah Klaten, Magelang, Kudus, Purwokerto, Kebumen, Wates, Temanggung, Wonogiri, Sukoharjo, Karanganyar, Banjarnegara, Prambanan, Purbalingga, Wonosari, and Sragen. After developing, these branches eventually became independent into independent universities.
In 1979, Drs. H. Mohamad Djazman, Rector of the IKIP Muhammadiyah Surakarta at that time initiated the establishment of the Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta by combining IKIP Muhammadiyah Surakarta and IAIM Surakarta. So that two years later, 1981, IKIP Muhammadiyah Surakarta changed its name to Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta. At that time, UMS managed several faculties, such as FKIP, Faculty of Economics, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Engineering, and Faculty of Islamic Religion (FAI). Then, in line with the demands and needs of society, currently UMS continues to add and present superior study programs at the undergraduate, postgraduate to doctoral levels.